Thursday, April 21, 2011

secret ingredient ham ...

As we are approaching Easter weekend, for many of us, ham is sure to be on the menu.   There are so many ways to prepare a ham, with all the different glazes, sauces, and methods.  So, if you are at a loss on how to prepare your Easter ham, look no further.  I have worked to perfect this recipe over the years, and I am even willing to share with you my secret ingredient, Coca Cola.
I am not a big soda drinker, but I purposely keep a little stash of Cola in my pantry for this purpose.  The cola adds a nice sweetness to the ham, as well as a nice deep flavor.
{Secret Ingredient Ham}
3-7 lb ham [I don't usually get the pre-cut kind, because it doesn't seem come out as moist, I also prefer bone-in, as the flavor is a little better]
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 cups coca cola
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
1 tbsp dijon mustard
-place all ingredients but the ham in a bowl and whisk.
For crockpot: place ham in crockpot and pour mixture on top. cook on low for 4-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours. Pour juice over the ham every so often
For roasting in the oven: place ham in a roasting pan, and pour mixture over the top, bake in oven covered in a roasting pan, 18-24 minutes per pound of ham at 350 degrees. Pour juice (baste) over the ham every so often.  Uncover the ham in the last 20-30 minutes of roasting.
*more tips on cooking ham here.
*if you are using a larger ham, just increase ingredients accordingly.
enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...